Today I am excited to share some great products that offer a small piece of mind for runners, Sabre Run Products. Sabre’s Company mission if very simple; keeping you safe. As the #1 pepper spray trusted by police and consumers world wide. They offer products for both running and daily life. I received three products from the run safety line; Pepper Spray Gel and two different personal alarms. Bonus, Sabre sent products I was able to share with my friend Stephanie on Global Running day ! Thanks Sabre!
Pepper Spray Gel
Product information from Sabre website
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER: Maximum strength formula is backed by our in-house high performance liquid chromatography laboratory which guarantees maximum stopping power, eliminating the 30% failure rate experienced with other pepper spray brands (University of Utah study); plus UV marking dye aids in suspect identification
- #1 PEPPER SPRAY BRAND TRUSTED BY POLICE AND CONSUMERS WORLDWIDE: Including New York, Chicago PD, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s & U.S. Marshals; made in the U.S.A. and ISO 9001:2008 certified with a 4-year shelf life from the date of manufacture
- ENHANCED SAFETY: Pepper gel virtually eliminates wind blow-back and only affects what it directly contacts, plus it offers a 20% greater range (12 feet/4 m) for protection at a safer distance
- EASILY ACCESSIBLE WITH PROTECTION AGAINST MULTIPLE THREATS: Adjustable hand strap provides police-strength protection at your fingertips; contains 35 bursts (up to 5x other brands) plus a locking top safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge
- FREE TRAINING: Packaging includes link to free training video in addition to publicly available safety tips on our blog
I took the Pepper Spray Gel on every run. It was super easy to put on my wrist when I was putting on my running watch each morning and mostly forget all about it. Even when I ran with the team or friends. As I started my run, I simply moved the get from my wrist to my hand. I don’t think anyone even noticed. I didn’t ever feel like I was carrying something extra. I could still use both hands for tieing shoes, opening doors and even walking my dogs. It’s that simple.
Thankfully, I didn’t need to put my product to real use while on the run. I did practice and I felt very confident that if I needed to use in emergency I could very easily do so without a bunch of fumbling around and I also didn’t have any concern I was going to set it off accidentally. A concern I had prior to trying this product. The spray gel is great as it doesn’t have that splash back that can occur with a traditional spray. According to the Sabre website, the gel can spray 8-12 feet depending on the wind.
I received two different personal alarms. The first one was a clip on with and LED light and the second version was tucked in a wrist band with a pull clip. There were things I liked about both designs. However, I found myself choosing the clip on version most often because I found it a tad more comfortable than the wrist band.
Product information from Sabre website
- Easy to activate: Simply press button to turn alarm on and off – intuitive design makes it easy even in stressful situations
- Attention-grabbing: 120 dB alarm audible 600 feet (185 m) away alerts others to your situation – turns bystanders into witnesses and possibly even rescuers
- Maximizes visibility: LED flashlight with on, slow flash, & fast flash modes to ensure that you are visible in all light conditions
- Instant access: Clip to clothing, bag, waistband, etc. makes attaching and accessing simple and effective – no fumbling for the alarm or need to carry in your hands
- Weather proof design: You don’t stop if the weather turns ugly, and your personal alarm doesn’t either
This product is about the size of my thumb and so easy to clip on and forget all about. In fact, I did. I would often have to dig the previous days clothes out of the hamper so that I could use it on the next run. The LED is a huge positive for runners who are early morning and late night runners. Who wants to have to wear multiple products? The alarm and light is a great combo.
Product information from the Sabre Website
- LOUDEST / GREATEST RANGE: Piercing, 130dB alarm calls for attention up to 1,000 feet (300 m) away and helps scare off attacker; fully reusable
- ADJUSTABLE & ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Length ranges from 5.5” – 8” and this sweat- and weather-resistant alarm is comfortable with no itchy nylon strap and an easy-to-use velcro closure
- MAXIMIZED SAFETY / BE SEEN AT NIGHT: Reflective material helps cars and witnesses locate you in the dark
- GREATER VALUE: Replaceable 4xLR44 batteries with low battery test button included to ensure your device is working when you need it most
- USER-FRIENDLY WITH BROAD APPEAL: Simply pull the metal ring to operate (easy to operate under stress!); a self-defense option for any age
I am not usually a fan of wearing much on the wrist besides my watch. Its just a personal preference. So I chose to use this product a few times for review purposes, but as I mentioned the clip on version was typically my go to choice. It is louder and the pull ring seems like it would be easier to trigger in case of emergency.
These products are all a great option for keeping you safe, and for the price, I am kicking myself for not purchasing sooner.
Want to try them out for yourself! Got the Sabre website and use code SABRERUN for 20% off!
I will be following up this post, later this week with more tips on staying safe on the run. Comment below with one thing you do to stay safe while out on the run.
I had an absolute blast using my Sabra Safety products and celebrating Global Running day. Here are a few highlights! Don’t forget to share what you did to celebrate, in the comments below.
Thank you so much for reading, be sure to like and subscribe for more!
Need a coach to help you reach your running goals?
I am a VDot Certified coach with over 11 years of coaching experience! I have worked with young beginners in the middle school level, high school athletes who have gone on to compete at national Division I championships, and adults runners of all abilities. For more information click here